THE ANGLICAN CHURCH of All Saints in Parque Taoro, Puerto de la Cruz, is over 125 years old, making it the oldest Anglican church in Spain. Many visitors to Tenerife are surprised to find an English-style church here. This small enclave of the Church of England owes its existence to a handful of dedicated Christians who, in the late 1800’s, met each Sunday for Morning Prayer. These Services were read by the British Vice-Consul, Mr Peter Reid.
Donations were given by people of many different nationalities and denominations towards the eventual building of All Saints Church, in what was then known as Puerto Orotava and is now Puerto de la Cruz. The first service was held in the church on 14th June 1891 but due to an outbreak of smallpox there was no formal opening at that time. That was delayed until 1st November 1891 when it was dedicated as All Saints Church. On 15th January 1893 the Bishop of Sierra Leone, in front of a congregation of 189, formally consecrated All Saints. We have on the wall a copy of the Deed of Consecration. [Read in full…] Our church… 125 years in the making